Monday, June 9, 2014

My Own Thoughts: Is Google Making Us Stupid?

In his blog post on May 30th Abdullah Alhelal posed the question, "Is Google Making Us Stupid?"  I don't believe it is!  I believe Google is making us more inquisitive about the world because so much information is at our fingertips.  Years ago, I was a Lead-person in a sanitation department of a large food processing company.  One day, a representative from a cleaning chemical company told me, "Because it is impossible to KNOW all the information, all the time, it is more important to know where to find the information when you need it!"  He told me this because I was struggling to remember a cleaning procedure.  As soon as he told me this, I went to the procedure manual and found the information I needed.

I think Google is a 'procedure' manual to help us find the information we need, when we need it.  Some say it is important to know information so we don't have to wast time looking for it.  The information we need to know is the information we have learned through experience and instruction.  After all, we don't have to read the phone manual every time we pick up the phone and make a call; we don't have to read the driver's manual every time we drive, although some of us could use a refresher course from time to time!  The information we need to look up in the 'procedure manual' is the information we need only occasionally or information to appease our curiosity!  

1 comment:

  1. Hello Edi,

    I like what you said about Google being "'procedure' manual to help us find the information we need," I have been in some conversations regarding the same matter. sure I know that some people depend a lot on google for almost everything in their lives, but on the other hand, more and more people are benefiting from it every day and learn through it. Thanks for choosing this topic, it's very interesting,

    ReplyDelete