Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Workin' on the Wiki!

When I first started this class, I was unaware of what a Wiki is.  I had heard of Wikipedia, and had read articles on Wikipedia.  But I was unaware that anyone could create a Wiki to share information.  I didn't find anything particularly frustrating when creating my portion of the class Wiki.  I would advise anyone contemplating creation of a Wiki to go ahead and jump right in! It's not that hard. In the future, I don't know if I will create my own Wiki or just continue to gather information that others have posted.  I believe Wiki's could be helpful in my chosen profession because they are an easy way to share lots of information in one place.  I have used Wikipedia in research for papers I have written and will encourage students to do the same.  As long as your verify the information found on Wikipedia, through citations at the end of the articles, it is a good source for class research.

3 comments:

  1. You are as excited about Wikis as I am. The wiki is a great place for individuals to collaborate and share in the educational or in the work setting. As you progress through your education you will find that Wikipedia is not a resource for high levels of evidence. Peer-reviewed meta analysis and systematic reviews are consider to be the most valuable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct when you say Wikipedia is not a resource for high levels of evidence. I meant it is good for lower level research when someone is just learning how to find and verify facts. Wikipedia is good for beginning to learn what is reliable information and what is not!

      Delete
  2. Wiki is an essential tool to provide adequate knowledge or just to create awareness. I believe that in the future you will have to use this platform. It will be very beneficial for you and for your audience as well. For instance, if you are launching a new product in the market then you might consider creating a Wiki page that will be able to create a buzz word and the people would prefer using it to understand and learn more about your product. Therefore, I think that it is a perfect platform to learn about this new technology as in the future we all will have to use it at one point.

    ReplyDelete